Looking for an Oakland Car Accident Lawyer?
Heinrich Law, PC Has the Experience You Need
According to the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, traffic fatalities are going up across the Bay Area. As authorities try to pin down the causes of this spike, the number of victims continues to rise. These car crashes exact a hefty toll on families. Medical bills, lost wages, property damages and severe pain are a burden few can afford. That trouble multiplies if the breadwinner of a family is the accident victim. Often times survivors of these crashes sustain devastating injuries that result in pain, suffering, lost income and disability. To ease this burden, California has laws in place to help victims recover compensation for their losses. However, recovering your damages could be difficult without the right Oakland car accident lawyer to help.
At Heinrich Law, PC, our experience should make us the top California auto accident law firm on your list. Our founder, Marjorie Heinrich, worked as an award-winning defense attorney for corporations and insurance companies. She brings that strategic knowledge to every case, giving plaintiffs an advantage when facing insurers. Partner Ethan Wimert has a string of successes from working at a large civil litigation firm, and before that was a senior editor for a major legal newspaper. Teamed with Andrea Searby, an accomplished paralegal who has worked with both attorneys for over a decade, they have helped their injured clients recover millions of dollars.
How Negligence and Recklessness Can Lead to Auto Accident Injuries
The Metropolitan Transportation Commission claims that over 33,000 Bay Area traffic collisions resulted in injuries in 2016. The commission’s report further reveals that 455 people lost their lives in these crashes. Since 2010, the number of annual traffic fatalities in our area has steadily increased, and authorities are trying to combat the trend. Several factors believed to be contributing to the trend are:
- Driving Under the Influence: Though driving while intoxicated is a crime in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, many individuals still get behind the wheel after consuming alcohol or other intoxicants. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that one in three traffic fatalities in the U.S. involve a drunk driver. Heinrich Law has represented many people seriously injured by drunk drivers.
- Speeding: The faster a vehicle moves, the harder it is to control. Drivers can lose sight of this fact when they are in a rush, and that can lead to collisions with trees, railings or other vehicles.
- Failure to Yield: Whether the driver is in a hurry, or they just don’t understand right-of-way laws, failing to yield can have big consequences. Blowing through a stop sign, traffic signal or crosswalk can lead to fatalities, and authorities are watching closely for these traffic violations. Heinrich Law has represented many people severely injured as a result of a driver failing to yield, and in particular drivers who make left turns and fail to yield to oncoming cars and motorcycles when doing so.
- Distracted Driving: Not paying attention while driving is an act that some drivers don’t realize they are doing. Eating, doing your makeup or reaching down to pick up a fallen item can result in collisions.
- Texting While Driving: Though this form of distracted driving is one of the most common, it is also one of the most dangerous. You are eight times more likely to get into a collision texting while driving, and many drivers know this. Surveys (see King’s College Study and AT&T’s Teen Driver Survey) suggest that despite knowing about this danger, many drivers knowingly text while driving.
- Ridesharing Services: As apps such as Uber and Lyft grow in popularity, so do the number of people injured in Uber and Lyft car accidents. There are even growing concerns over passenger safety when it comes to rideshare drivers who have not been properly vetted. Heinrich Law has particular expertise representing people who have been severely injured by Uber and Lyft drivers. Having an attorney who knows how to navigate these claims and deal with their insurer, James River, is essential.
Any of these actions, and many more, could be considered negligent or reckless in the eyes of California law. So, the victims of these acts often have legal options to help pay for the medical costs, lost wages and their horrible pain and suffering as a result.
What Can I Recover If I Am Injured in a Car Accident In Oakland and the Greater Bay Area?
An Oakland car accident lawyer from Heinrich Law, PC can help crash victims recover compensation for their losses. Damages that may be recovered include:
- Property Damage: You may be able to recover compensation for damage to your vehicle, property in your vehicle, or even property outside of your vehicle.
- Lost Wages: If you are unable to work due to injuries sustained in a car crash, then you may be entitled to compensation for your lost wages.
- Medical Costs: Bills for emergency room visits, medications, hospital stays and rehabilitation may also be recoverable through a personal injury lawsuit. Compensation for medical treatment often includes past, present and future costs related to your accident injuries.
- Pain and Suffering: In most cases, the physical and emotional pain inflicted by a car accident is recoverable and a key component of the case.
How Can an Oakland Car Accident Lawyer Help Me Recover Compensation?
Though filing a claim on your own is possible, there are many obstacles that could eliminate or reduce your compensation. Not understanding the laws that apply to your circumstances, facing insurance adjusters who are trying to minimize your claim or dealing with inaccurate police reports could keep you from recovering your losses. At Heinrich Law, PC, our attorneys have extensive experience handling all matter of claim issues.
In the lawsuit Peoples vs County of Alameda, our attorneys used cutting-edge technology to prove police reports were inaccurate and reached a $3 million settlement. Using our knowledge of insurance industry tactics, we were able to settle a drunk driving related claim for 1 million dollars before having to even file a lawsuit. Our results show our skills, but our client satisfaction proves our dedication to the people we represent. Call today at (510) 570-1608 and talk directly with an Oakland car accident lawyer. The consultation is free, and it could be the first step toward putting your life back together after a catastrophic car crash.