Prior to law school, Ethan worked at The Recorder, a legal newspaper in San Francisco, where he served as the coordinator for that publication’s advance sheet services. After years of reading and learning about the law, and the Bay Area’s thriving legal industry, he resolved to get off the sidelines and join the community he had been serving.
He was admitted to the Golden Gate University School of Law on scholarship as a member of the Honors Lawyering Program. Quickly developing a passion for environmental law, Ethan first clerked for the Earthjustice Legal Defense Fund before then serving as a certified student practitioner at the Environmental Law and Justice Clinic. He also served as an Editorial Board Member and Journal Editor for the Golden Gate University Environmental Law Journal.
During his time with the Environmental Law and Justice Clinic, Ethan recognized the unique role that lawyers can play in advancing the interests of individual clients in the face of opposition from large, well-funded business interests. With this in mind, he leaped at the opportunity to join a large Plaintiff’s civil litigation firm following his admission to the Bar in 2009.
While working at this firm’s Oakland office, Ethan served as lead Associate on dozens of matters from inception through resolution. Notably, he was instrumental in the resolution of multiple heavily litigated matters in areas as diverse as commercial trucking accidents, serious motorcycle and bicycle crashes, pedestrian incidents causing severe injuries, serious dog bite and dog knock down related claims, elder abuse cases and premises liability matters. During this time, he also developed extensive experience with uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage issues, achieving numerous policy limits settlements in this arena.
Ethan joined Heinrich Law, PC as a partner in 2015 because he viewed a smaller firm environment as an opportunity to work more closely with clients to ensure their individual needs were being met.
From 2016 through 2019, Ethan has been named a California Super Lawyers “Northern California Rising Star,” which is a designation given to only the top 2.5% of all attorneys in the region.
In his spare time, Ethan enjoys spending time with his wife and two children, hiking, collecting LPs, and playing his banjo.
- Ethan is licensed to practice law in all courts of the State of California as well as the Northern and Eastern Federal District Courts of California
- Golden Gate University School of Law, J.D. – 2009
- UC Santa Cruz, B.A. Modern Literary Studies
Honors and Awards
- Pacific Region Editor, Golden Gate University Environmental Law Journal
- Honors Lawyering Program
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards: Writing and Research, Energy and Environmental
- Law and Justice Seminar, International Law and Climate Change
- Dean’s List
- California Super Lawyers “Rising Star” 2016-2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Alameda Contra-Costa Trial Lawyers Association (ACCTLA)
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association (SFTLA)
- Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC)
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)