When you suffer a passenger injury in a car accident, it is important to know what to do. The steps you take can have a significant impact on your ability to file a claim. Mistakes might prevent you from collecting enough money to pay your medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering. Even worse, insurance companies count on passengers making mistakes. That is why they often offer lowball settlements to injured passengers. Their main goal is to get you to settle for far less than you deserve. As such, never sign anything without first speaking to an experienced Oakland car accident lawyer at Heinrich Law. But before you call us, it is important to know what to do after suffering a passenger injury.
Steps to Take After a Passenger Injury
As a passenger, you can feel helpless after a car accident. You are not to blame for this accident, yet you still suffer. Fortunately, there are many things passengers can do to protect. If you suffered a passenger injury in an auto accident, take the following steps.
- Call 911. If you are able, it is important to call 911 when someone suffers an injury in a car accident. Calling 911 will alert the authorities, as well as emergency medical teams to your crash.
- Make a police report. When the police arrive, it is important to remain calm and give them a detailed account of the crash. The police report is invaluable when filing a claim. It is used to help establish liability.
- Seek medical treatment. Even if you do not think your injuries are severe, it is important to seek medical treatment. Your medical examination and records will help your attorney obtain the money you need to pay for your injuries.
- Gather evidence. While the drivers exchange contact and insurance information, you can help by gathering evidence. Snap pictures of the crash site and the damage to the vehicle. Talk to eyewitnesses and make sure you get their contact information. This can help your attorney build your case against the “at fault” driver.
- Call an attorney. After suffering a passenger injury, it is important to speak to an experienced Oakland car accident lawyer. Your lawyer will help you get the money you deserve after a crash. As a passenger, you may have multiple options for collecting compensation, including filing a claim with:
- The “at fault” driver’s insurer
- Your driver’s insurer
- Your own insurer
Injured passengers can complicate car accident claims. There are multiple ways to collect compensation and sometimes multiple parties to blame. That is why it is critical to speak to an experienced car accident attorney before signing anything. Your attorney can protect your right to full and complete compensation.
Contact an Oakland Car Accident Lawyer
If you suffered a passenger injury in a car accident, it is important to know what to do. One of the best steps you can take is to call an Oakland car accident lawyer immediately. At Heinrich Law, PC, our Oakland car accident attorneys are here to help. We know that injured passengers need compensation to help pay for their medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering. That is why we work tirelessly for our injured clients every step of the way.
Call us at (510) 570-1608 or fill out our confidential contact form for more information. With an office conveniently located in Oakland, we are ready to assist all injured clients throughout the Bay Area.